Saturday, December 1, 2007

01de Diciembre

Wow, December already. Its hard to believe when its hot and sunny outside. It just doesnt feel like its getting close to christmas.
So much has happened since my last entry, but I just never seem to have enough time at the computer to write. So this is a shortened version with more to come.
Ive been in my site now for 1 week and I´m much happier here than in training. Life is much slower...tranquilo. No more spanish classes (although I try to study a little bit everyday) and running around to different training classes.
Ive been spending most of my time this last week getting settled in and hanging out around the house, meeting different people that come by and those who live in the casas of the errands I run for my host mom. I do admit, though, that Im getting a little bored. The american in me wants to go, go, go. Im trying to enjoy this slower pace of life-reading in the hammock, chatting, and just relaxing. Its hard to just sit and chat, though, when my language skills only carry a basic conversation. Also, reading is not a common practice for Nicas. They prefer to just sit and talk.
I have done a few activities this week. I learned how to make mazapan, cuajata (a type of cheese) from fresh milk, helped milk a cow by hand, made my own coffee, dried marango leaves, played with the kids, attended a couple graduation parties (one of which was ended by drunk fighting and gun firing), met some new people, bonded with the cat, desgranared a lot of corn, and explored a couple new towns nearby. I also had the chance to watch a small bit of the bean harvest yesterday, which is all done by hand, and very labor intensive, using lots of hands, backs, and horses. And also ran errands by bike, by foot, and by ox cart.
Thats all for today.

No comments: