Monday, October 22, 2007

22 de Octubre de 2007

We made it back to our training towns safely last Wednesday and after program interviews in Managua, we had our site assignments last Friday. I received one of the sites that I was interested in and will be placed in a pueblo called Sabana Grande. With 2,000 people, it is a large site for the ag sector here, but I´m hoping it will still feel small. Sabana Grande is in the northern part of the country, bordering Hondurus, in a region called Nuevo Segogovia. I´m about 45km from the department capital of Ocotal.
The community leader, whose family I will be living with the first 6 weeks, just started his first year of vet school. He works with an NGO that supports sustainable and organic agriculture. This same NGO is also located in a site close to mine has had a volunteer working there the last 2 years with a community leader that just completed vet school and built a lab in their village.
So I am looking forward to working with them on animal husbandry projects.
This Thursday I leave for a weeklong site visit and will be staying with this family and learning more about the community. My nerves are getting to me a little, mostly because of my lack of spanish, but I´m reassuring myselft that they will be patient and friendly, and of course the fact that there´s others in my group that are in the same situation as myself.
We´ve been busy making up spanish classes since we returned and although I have a long way to go, it´s improving. We have a new teacher who is awesome and I´m learning so much from her, including the subjunctive. Do you even know what that is in english?
Our youth group decided yesterday to have a surprise despidida (going away party) and we all went to the pulperia and bought ingredients to make nica tacos, including the tortillas from scrath. Nica tacos are pollo wrapped in tortillas and deep fried, of course, with cabbage ensalada, and salad dressing (cream and ketchup) on top. They actually weren´t bad, but super unhealthly, like the fried cheese and french fries I received for breakfast the other day.
I also had a surpise swim in the creek yesterday. When a couple girls in my house asked me if I wanted to go down to the quebrada, I said ¨sure, why not¨, thinking we were just going on a walk. But they kicked off their shoes and joined the other kids swimming in the muddy small swimming hole. Of course I wasn´t wearing my swimsuit but I jumped in anwyays in my clothes and had a good time, until I about froze to death because it really wasnt that warm.
Well, I´m about to miss the last bus, so I will write more when I return from my site visit

4 comments:

swartgarcia said...

Don't worry about the Spanish. I am living proof that a smile followed by a confused look translate fine, Matagalpa 94-96. Wanting to meet PCV in Nicaragua and to get current information that I can't find in guide books for family visit (12/1-1/9)wife and two daughters.

Angela said...

I love you and miss you so much! It sounds as if the youth group turned out to be a success after all. I loved your reflection on the simple amenities of the Motel 6 and can't wait to hear more about the sociological aspects and interactions you have in your new "home". I have so much to tell you but I'll put it all in a private e-mail. Things are great, can't wait to hear about your site visit. Love you!

Vicki said...

Hi Swartgarcia,
Great to hear from a Nica RPCV. What sector were you in?
My site is up north in Nuevo Segovia, not really a travel destination, but from what I´ve seen beautiful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Vicki said...

Hi Ang,
Email me...I´m sitting anxiously awaiting your ¨private email¨ :)