Thursday, October 4, 2007

04 de Octubre

Hello all,
Coming to the end of week five in training and we´re halfway through! I can´t believe its been 5 weeks already. The days are long here, but the weeks fly by.
The last few weeks have been filled with lots of spanish classes with a new facilitator that I love. He´s very laid back and takes all the stress out of learning a new language. Afternoon classes often consist of us walking around and talking about trees and what the chickens and passerbys are doing. Class is now on my front porch and the mornings are always filled with some excitement as small herds of cattle pass by and dogs bark at the men riding by on horseback. I can´t wait to get a horse! (hopefully)
My spanish is coming along, but slowly. Tomorrow we have mid service interviews to access our language ability. Im keeping my fingers crossed and doing some studying too!
Today we had a great day of learning food processing. All hands on, we basically cooked all day, and learned how to use the local plants for medicines and soaps. Also learned about this amazing tree called the moringa. Some examples of its amazing properties....the leaves are edible by both humans and animals and actually taste good. They are high in protein, iron, and calcium (which most Nica diets are lacking). The leaves can be dried and ground up to a powder to add to all kinds of food or can be eaten straight in salads or salsas. The seeds can be used to purify water and the bark can be used to make rope. And the tree grows really fast!
I cant wait to get to my site and start a garden and cook with all these yummy veggies and hopefully turn some other Nicas on to the benefits of vegetables.
We´re in the height of rainy season now and its been pouring most afternoon. Unfortunately my room has a few leaks but nothing too bad. Luckily it leaks everywhere but over my bed and my clothes!
This weekend will be filled with youth group fiestas, nacatamales, and movie night with another youth group!
Last weekend, our small group of 5 in Santa Cruz gave a charla (informal presentation) to our youth group on contraception and sex ed. It went really well and I actually spoke and was able to help answer some questions in spanish. It was really fullfilling to see the teenagers writing down all the information we presented and answer their questions about STDs and fertility. Not a subject talked about much here with youth.
Next week is ¨tech days¨for my group, which means I will be visiting a volunteers site for 4 days and doing all kinds of interesting technical tasks. Looking forward to learning more hands on stuff and being at an actual site.
Take care all.

No comments: